Mobile Application End User License Agreement
Mobile Application End User License Agreement
This Mobile Application End User License Agreement (“Agreement”) is a binding agreement between you (“End User” or “you”) and The Signal Hill Company, LLC (“Company”). This Agreement governs your use of Senior Correspondent, (including all related documentation, the “Application”). The Application is licensed, not sold, to you.
BY ACCESSING THE APPLICATION, YOU (A) ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THIS AGREEMENT; (B) REPRESENT THAT YOU ARE 18 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER (OR IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF 18, YOUR PARENT OR GUARDIAN ACCEPTS THIS AGREEMENT ON YOUR BEHALF PRIOR TO YOUR ACCESS OF THE APPLICATION); AND (C) ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT AND AGREE THAT YOU ARE LEGALLY BOUND BY ITS TERMS. THIS AGREEMENT PROVIDES COMPANY WITH CERTAIN RIGHTS IN CONTENT YOU CONTRIBUTE THROUGH USE OF THE APPLICATION, SO PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT IN ITS ENTIRETY. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS, DO NOT CONTINUE TO ACCESS THE APPLICATION AND DELETE IT FROM YOUR DEVICE.
1. License Grant. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, Company grants you a limited, non-exclusive and nontransferable license to:
(a) download, install and use the Application in object code only for your personal, non-commercial use on a single mobile device owned or otherwise controlled by you (“”) strictly in accordance with the Application’s documentation; and
(b)access, stream, download and use on such Mobile Device the Content and Services (as defined in Section 5) made available in or otherwise accessible through the Application, and/or make Content Submissions (as defined in Section 6) strictly in accordance with this Agreement applicable to such Content and Services and Content Submissions.
2. License Restrictions. You shall comply with all applicable local, state, national and international laws and regulations with respect to your use of the Application, and you shall not:
(a)copy the Application, except as expressly permitted by this license;
(b)modify, translate, adapt or otherwise create derivative works or improvements, whether or not patentable, of the Application;
(c)reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, decode or otherwise attempt to derive or gain access to the source code of the Application or any part thereof;
(d)remove, delete, alter or obscure any trademarks or any copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property or proprietary rights notices from the Application, including any copy thereof;
(e)rent, lease, lend, sell, sublicense, assign, distribute, publish, transfer or otherwise make available the Application or any features or functionality of the Application, to any third party for any reason, including by making the Application available on a network where it is capable of being accessed by more than one device at any time; or
(f)remove, disable, circumvent or otherwise create or implement any workaround to any copy protection, rights management or security features in or protecting the Application.
3. Reservation of Rights. You acknowledge and agree that the Application is provided under license, and not sold, to you. You do not acquire any ownership interest in the Application under this Agreement, or any other rights thereto other than to use the Application in accordance with the license granted, and subject to all terms, conditions and restrictions, under this Agreement. Company and its licensors and service providers reserve and shall retain its/their entire right, title and interest in and to the Application, including all copyrights, trademarks and other intellectual property rights therein or relating thereto, except as expressly granted to you in this Agreement.
6. User Content Submissions.
(a)The Application and Website may allow you to post, import, or upload content such as articles, comments, messages, images, photography, audio, video, text, or other material, and to otherwise provide information to, including without limitation through message boards, forums, blogs or other interactive features of the Application or Website (all the foregoing content and information, collectively, your “Content Submissions”). With respect to your Content Submissions, while you retain any and all of your lawfully owned rights therein, you hereby grant Company an unconditional, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable, non-exclusive and fully-sublicensable right and license to view, store, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works of, distribute, perform, display, and otherwise fully exploit your Content Submissions (in whole or part) and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed, and to exercise the same rights with respect to such works. You also permit any individual or entity visiting the Website or using the Application to further access, store, distribute, perform, reproduce and prepare derivative works of your Content Submissions. No compensation or other consideration will be paid or otherwise provided to you or to any other person or entity with respect to your Content Submissions.
(b)Company may alter, edit or remove your Content Submissions at any time in its sole discretion, but Company assumes no obligation to pre-screen, monitor, or review your Content Submissions or content submitted by any other party, and the Company does not support or endorse any Content Submissions (which do not necessarily reflect the views of the Company). Company will endeavor to act on objectionable content reports received from third parties within twenty-four (24) hours of receipt, which, without limiting any other right Company may have, may involve removal of the objectionable content and termination of your rights to use the Application and/or Website. You are solely responsible at your own cost and expense to create backup copies of your Content Submissions.
(d)As the provider of the Application and Website, Company is only a news forum and is not liable for any statements, representations, or omissions made through your Content Submissions or other third-party content on the Application or Website. Any opinions, advice, purported facts, or recommendations expressed therein are those of the third party that makes them, and not those of Company; Company does not endorse any opinion, purported fact, recommendation or advice expressed therein. Likewise, it is your responsibility to exercise due care and caution (for your privacy, safety, and identity, among other concerns) when posting your Content Submissions or in connection with any use of the Application or Website.
7. Updates. Company may from time to time in its sole discretion develop and provide Application updates, which may include upgrades, bug fixes, patches and other error corrections and/or new features (collectively, including related documentation, “Updates”). Updates may also modify or delete in their entirety certain features and functionality. You agree that Company has no obligation to support the Application, provide any Updates or to continue to provide or enable any particular features or functionality. Based on your Mobile Device settings, when your Mobile Device is connected to the internet either:
(a)the Application will automatically download and install all available Updates; or
(b)you may receive notice of or be prompted to download and install available Updates.
You shall promptly download and install all Updates and acknowledge and agree that the Application or portions thereof may not properly operate should you fail to do so. You further agree that all Updates will be deemed part of the Application and be subject to all terms and conditions of this Agreement.
8. Third Party Materials. The Application may display, include or make available third-party content (including data, information, applications and other products services and/or materials) or provide links to third-party websites or services, including through third-party advertising (“Third Party Materials”). You acknowledge and agree that Company is not responsible for Third Party Materials, including their accuracy, completeness, timeliness, validity, copyright compliance, legality, decency, quality or any other aspect thereof. Company does not assume and will not have any liability or responsibility to you or any other person or entity for any Third Party Materials. Third Party Materials and links thereto are provided solely as a convenience to you and you access and use them at entirely at your own risk and subject to such third parties’ terms and conditions. Without limiting the foregoing, you agree that you will not use any Third Party Materials in a manner that would infringe or violate the rights of any other person.
9. Term and Termination.
(a)The term of Agreement commences when you download and first access the Application and will continue in effect until terminated by you or Company as set forth in this Section 9.
(b)You may terminate this Agreement by deleting the Application and all copies thereof from your Mobile Device.
(c)Company may terminate this Agreement at any time without notice if it ceases to support the Application or the Website, which Company may do in its sole discretion. In addition, this Agreement will terminate immediately and automatically without any notice if you violate any of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
(i)all rights granted to you under this Agreement will also terminate;
(ii)all rights you grant to Company under Section 6 shall survive; and
(iii)you must cease all use of the Application and delete all copies of the Application from your Mobile Device.
(e)Termination will not limit any of Company’s rights or remedies at law or in equity, or otherwise affect either party’s obligations which by their nature survive termination.
10. Disclaimer of Warranties. THE APPLICATION IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE,” WITH ALL FAULTS AND DEFECTS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. YOU ASSUME THE SOLE RISK OF USING THE APPLICATION. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, COMPANY, ON ITS OWN BEHALF AND ON BEHALF OF ITS AFFILIATES AND ITS AND THEIR RESPECTIVE LICENSORS AND SERVICE PROVIDERS, EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, WITH RESPECT TO THE APPLICATION, INCLUDING ALL WARRANTIES OF ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, TIMELINESS OR USEFULNESS OF CONTENT, ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, AND WARRANTIES THAT MAY ARISE OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, USAGE OR TRADE PRACTICE. WITHOUT LIMITATION TO THE FOREGOING, COMPANY PROVIDES NO WARRANTY OR UNDERTAKING, AND MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND THAT THE APPLICATION WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, ACHIEVE ANY INTENDED RESULTS, BE COMPATIBLE OR WORK WITH ANY OTHER SOFTWARE, APPLICATIONS, SYSTEMS OR SERVICES, OPERATE WITHOUT INTERRUPTION, MEET ANY PERFORMANCE OR RELIABILITY STANDARDS OR BE VIRUS OR ERROR FREE OR THAT ANY ERRORS OR DEFECTS CAN OR WILL BE CORRECTED.
SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF OR LIMITATIONS ON IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR THE LIMITATIONS ON THE APPLICABLE STATUTORY RIGHTS OF A CONSUMER, SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
11. Limitation of Liability. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL COMPANY OR ITS AFFILIATES, OR ANY OF ITS OR THEIR RESPECTIVE LICENSORS OR SERVICE PROVIDERS, HAVE ANY LIABILITY ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE APPLICATION OR THE CONTENT AND SERVICES FOR:
(a)PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, LOST PROFITS, COST OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, LOSS OF DATA, LOSS OF GOODWILL, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION OR ANY OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES; OR
(b)DIRECT DAMAGES IN AMOUNTS THAT IN THE AGGREGATE EXCEED THE AMOUNT ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU FOR THE APPLICATION.
THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS WILL APPLY WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES ARISE OUT OF BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR STRICT LIABILITY) OR OTHERWISE AND REGARDLESS OF WHETHER SUCH DAMAGES WERE FORESEEABLE OR COMPANY WAS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW CERTAIN LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY SO SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
12. Indemnification. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Company and its officers, directors, employees, agents, affiliates, successors and assigns from and against any and all losses, damages, liabilities, deficiencies, claims, actions, judgments, settlements, interest, awards, penalties, fines, costs, or expenses of whatever kind, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and litigation expenses, arising from or relating to your use or misuse of the Application or your breach of this Agreement, including without limitation any claim of infringement or misappropriation related to your Content Submissions. Furthermore, you agree that Company assumes no responsibility for the content you submit or make available through this Application.
13. Export Regulation. The Application may be subject to US export control laws, including the US Export Administration Act and its associated regulations. You shall not, directly or indirectly, export, re-export or release the Application to, or make the Application accessible from, any jurisdiction or country to which export, re-export or release is prohibited by law, rule or regulation. You shall comply with all applicable federal laws, regulations and rules, and complete all required undertakings (including obtaining any necessary export license or other governmental approval), prior to exporting, re-exporting, releasing or otherwise making the Application available outside the US.
14. US Government Rights. The Application is commercial computer software, as such term is defined in 48 C.F.R. §2.101. Accordingly, if you are an agency of the US Government or any contractor therefor, you receive only those rights with respect to the Application as are granted to all other end users under license, in accordance with (a) 48 C.F.R. §227.7201 through 48 C.F.R. §227.7204, with respect to the Department of Defense and their contractors, or (b) 48 C.F.R. §12.212, with respect to all other US Government licensees and their contractors.
15. Severability. If any provision of this Agreement is illegal or unenforceable under applicable law, the remainder of the provision will be amended to achieve as closely as possible the effect of the original term and all other provisions of this Agreement will continue in full force and effect.
16. Governing Law. This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of North Carolina without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule. Any legal suit, action or proceeding arising out of or related to this Agreement or the Application shall be instituted exclusively in the federal courts of the United States or the courts of the State of North Carolina in each case located in Wake County. You waive any and all objections to the exercise of jurisdiction over you by such courts and to venue in such courts.
17. Limitation of Time to File Claims. ANY CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM YOU MAY HAVE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT OR THE APPLICATION MUST BE COMMENCED WITHIN ONE (1) YEAR AFTER THE CAUSE OF ACTION ACCRUES, OTHERWISE, SUCH CAUSE OF ACTION OR CLAIM IS PERMANENTLY BARRED.
19. Waiver. No failure to exercise, and no delay in exercising, on the part of either party, any right or any power hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise of any right or power hereunder preclude further exercise of that or any other right hereunder. In the event of a conflict between this Agreement and any applicable purchase order or other terms, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.